by Executive Chef Paul Short
From our 2014 Wollersheim Winery Open House
3 ¼ cups bread flour
¾ cup water
2 large eggs
2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast
2 ¼ teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
¼ stick melted butter
¼ cup macerated raisins
INGREDIENTS: Baba Syrup
1 quart water
2 cups sugar
2 vanilla beans
1 lemon zested
1 cup Wollersheim Dry Riesling
dark rum to taste
1. Combine the flour, water, eggs, yeast, salt, and sugar and mix with the dough hook.
2. Mix for 5 to 7 minutes after incorporation to cleanup stage, using medium high speed.
3. Once the dough is developed, add the melted butter on slow speed.
4. Add the raisins.
5. After mixing divide and shape the dough into loose balls.
6. Deposit the dough into appropriate molds halfway up the mold, and let ferment 25 to 30 minutes.
7. The dough is ready to bake once it reaches the top of the mold.
8. Bake at 400°F in a convection oven until golden brown.
9. Boil the water, sugar, vanilla, and zest.
10. Add the rum and wine when the sugar mixture has cooled to room temperature.
11. Soak the babas until no longer dry.
12. Garnish with crème Chantilly and fruit.
MAKES: Makes 22 individual servings