By chef Scott McGlinchey and Amanda Meyer
From the 2003 Wollersheim Winery Open House
8 oz. Wollersheim Chardonnay
24 large mushroom caps
2 oz. extra virgin olive oil
2 oz. bacon diced fine
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 oz. cognac or brandy
4 oz. shredded Rofumo cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Clean mushroom caps and remove stems. In large sauté pan over high heat, add olive oil then mushroom caps, season with salt and pepper and sauté for 2 minutes.
2. Add Wollersheim Chardonnay, cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Remove mushrooms and place in baking dish. (Keep liquid and use in your favorite stock.)
4. In large sauté pan over medium high heat, add the bacon and cook until almost crispy. Add the escargot and garlic and toss for 45 seconds. Add the cognac and season with salt and pepper, flame for 15 seconds and remove immediately from pan.
5. Place 1 escargot into each cap along with garlic, bacon and juice. Top off each cap with a little Rofumo and place in a preheated 450° oven for 3 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and serve promptly with a glass of the delicious Wollersheim Chardonnay. Enjoy!