by Mike Boss, Blue Spoon Café – Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin
From our 2012 Wollersheim Winery “A Vintage Christmas”
BREAD PUDDING INGREDIENTS:
- 8 cups stale bread, broken into pieces
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1cup dried cranberries
- 1cup golden raisins
- 1cup chopped pecans
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
PORT WINE SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1egg yolk
- ½ cup Wollersheim Port wine
PREPARATION for BREAD PUDDING:
- Combine all ingredients. Mixture should be very moist but not soupy.
- Pour into a buttered 9″ x 9″ baking dish. Place on middle rack of oven, preheated to 350 degrees.
- Cook approximately 75 minutes until top is golden brown. Serve warm with sauce, below.
PREPARATION for PORT WINE SAUCE:
- Cream butter and sugar over medium heat until all butter is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and blend in egg yolk. Gradually pour in the Port, stirring constantly. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Serve over warm bread pudding.