By Chef Paul Short of Madison College Culinary Arts and Hospitality Programs-Madison, Wisconsin
from our 2016 Open House
1 cup of Wollersheim Chardonnay
1 tbsp of minced shallots
1/2 pound of butter cut into small cubes and chilled
1 tbsp of minced chives
1 tbsp of minced chervil or parsley
Fried Baby Artichokes
6 baby artichokes
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 whole lemons cut into quarters
1 Paper cartouche
Salt and pepper
Hard Boiled Eggs
3 whole large eggs
water to boil the eggs in
1 large lemon
1. Combine the shallots and chardonnay into a large pot. Cook the wine mixture over low to medium heat until just about all of the wine has evaporated. Turn the heat off and whisk into the wine shallot mixture the butter cubes until they have all been incorporated. It should be of sauce consistency when finished. If it is too thick just place it over heat for a couple of minutes while whisking constantly.
2. Whisk in the herbs and keep in a warm place (not too hot or it will break) until ready for use.
1. Have a container to put all of the artichoke peelings in (the leaves can be cooked the same as the hearts and eaten separately in another dish). Peel the leaves off the baby artichoke until the thin tender leaves are exposed. Peel the bottom of the artichoke to expose the whiter flesh. Rub all of the newly exposed areas of the baby artichoke with one of the lemon quarters to keep it from oxidizing. In a large pot add enough water to cover the peeled artichokes (for six you will need approximately 2 1/2 cups of water) and add the all-purpose flour, along with the remaining lemon quarters. Place the peeled artichokes in the water and cover with the paper cartouche. Bring the artichokes to a simmer and cook until tender.
2. When tender cut the artichokes in half and quickly fry in olive oil. Season them with salt and pepper.
Hard Boiled Eggs
1. Place the three large eggs in a pot filled with water to cover the eggs. Bring to a boil, shut heat off when they start to boil, cover and let stand for ten minutes. Place under cold water until thoroughly chilled. Peel the eggs, slice the eggs, season with salt and pepper and serve.
1. Cut the top and bottom of the lemon off. Using a knife cut the skin off of the lemon (make sure you cut the white pith away from the lemon). Using a paring knife cut away each segment from the lemon.
Pour the Beurre Blanc over the artichokes and top with sliced egg and lemon.