by Mike Boss, Blue Spoon Café – Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin
From our 2012 Wollersheim Winery “A Vintage Christmas”
- 1 cup Wollersheim Prairie Sunburst Red
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds hanger steak
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- Coarse salt to taste
- In a dish large enough to hold the meat, whisk together the wine, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, sugar, and pepper. Rub the meat with the garlic and place both in the marinade. Turn the meat to coat completely with the marinade. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Bring the meat to room temperature. Prepare an outdoor grill or heavy sauté pan. Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry. Generously salt and pepper both sides. Place on the hot grill, cover and cook for 4 minutes. Turn and cook for an additional 6 to 8 minutes for medium rare, 140° F on an instant-read thermometer. Let the meat sit for at least 5 minutes before carving. This can also be cooked under the broiler or roasted in your oven.
Click to Print Recipe