by Executive Chef Paul Short of Madison College
From our 2018 Open House
Yield: 15 – 8 ounce portions
INGREDIENTS: Bread Pudding
1 ½ pounds stale bread cut into 1” cubes
4 ounces melted butter
4 ounces raisins
6 each large eggs beaten
3 each yolks from large eggs
1 quart whole milk
6 ounces granulated sugar
INGREDIENTS: Coquard Brandy Custard Sauce
5 each large egg yolks
8 ounces granulated sugar
2.5 ounces Wollersheim Distillery Coquard Brandy
5.5 ounces whipped heavy cream
METHOD: Bread Pudding
1. Prepare custard cups by brushing the insides with softened butter.
2. Cut bread into 1” cubes and drizzle with melted butter.
3. Lightly toast cubes of bread in a 350 degree oven.
4. Combine toasted bread with raisins.
5. Combine eggs, yolks, sugar and milk, whisking to get it completely mixed together.
6. Soak toasted bread and raisins with the custard. Fill custard cups with bread pudding, pressing down into the custard cups.
7. Place on a sheet pan with a lip (it will need to hold a small amount of water). Place in oven and pour a small amount of water into the pan. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 45 minutes.Chill completely and remove from cups.Warm slightly for service.
METHOD: Coquard Brandy Custard Sauce
1. Place yolks in a medium stainless bowl with sugar and brandy. Place a pot on the stove half full of water and heat the water to a slow boil. Place egg mixture over the water bath and whisk until eggs are cooked; the eggs should be set but not scrambled.
2. Chill completely and fold in stiff whipped cream.